Home » Step 1 » Got my score. 99/234
MuTa18274368 (Posts 1) - 5/6/2010 6:11:51 AM

Got my score today. It's unbelieveable. Thanks to Allah Almighty. I was so depressed after the exam.
Thanks to everyone in this community. Got all the help from here. I had no one to guide me properly. Special thanks to Sanjeev who helped me at every stage of my preparation and answered my every little query.
Your queries are most welcome.

MuTa18274368 (Posts 1) - 5/6/2010 6:19:55 AM

I took a little long to prepare for the step 1. People usually recommend 6 months. I took almost 10 months because I was doing house job alongwith it as well. I just wanted to get done with step1 by the time I finish house job.

Been very calm and cool throughout my preparation. In the start, I studied for 4-6 hours which I gradually increased to 12-14 hours in the last couple of months. Been watching movies, going out with friends. Took a break in September for the whole month of Ramadan.

My suggestion is Kaplan Books + DVDs + Goljan Patho + Goljan Audio + Goljan Slides + First Aid.

I did not do Webpath or any specific book or website for CT/MRI and heart murmurs. You get a good idea about probable answer without patho slides in most of the questions. In CT they ask to identify the normal anatomical structure which is not difficult if you know normal anatomy. I got three murmur audio clips.

Keeping your head cool is the key during exam. I skipped the tutorial. Exam pattern was exactly like UW but questions were shorter than that. Half of the questions were 3-4 liner, 25% were one or two liner and the rest were 5+ liner. I did two blocks straight away, then 10 mins break (you don't even realise how quickly mins pass), again two blocks in a row, then 30mins break. That long break was very helpful in restoring my energy levels. Again I took 2 blocks and 10 mins break. Then I did the last block with 10 mins spare.

I finished every block in 50-55 mins and revised marked questions in last a few minutes. I mrked 5-10 questions in a block.

After finishing the exam, I was so depressed. Probably I got too fatigued which was affecting my mood (normally I am very cool-minded). I thought I won't even pass the test. 99 was definitely out of reach. I prayed a lot after the exam and that's what made the difference, I believe.

My UW score was 68%.. I repeated all marked questions.. In last week I did only FA which was a great help.

I did all seven NBME offline.. Got 165+ in each of them..

Any further queries are most welcome. I got a lot from this community. Now is my turn to give if I can.

yasu37310721 (Posts 1) - 5/6/2010 11:00:56 AM

congrats taqi .... 99 MINDBLOWING M.A .... ME GOING TO TAKE EXAM IN 3 WEEK TIME DO U HAVE OFFLINE NBME 5,6 ,7 I WILL BE VERY THANKFUL TO U .......

abal81657000 (Posts 1) - 5/6/2010 11:32:18 AM

I would also like the offline NBME. Thank and congrats!!

AyMa35312696 (Posts 1) - 5/6/2010 1:28:01 PM

Congratulations on your brilliant score. Offline NBME's are pirated. I would suggest purchasing and doing them online as you also get your 3 digit score with it.

dodo52609044 (Posts 1) - 5/6/2010 1:58:11 PM

salam... congrats Dr Taqi.. M.A u have got a great score... my name is shoaib.. i m planning to write my step 1 in july-aug.. wanted to know about how u got along with the UW i mean for how long did u subscribe it and wat mode u did it in initial phase... thanks

irir14293078 (Posts 1) - 5/6/2010 3:15:44 PM

congrats ,great score..
i just started to prepare for step 1,i finished graduation in june 2009.
i am using RRGoljan pathology 2010,but the audios are different,i mean less than wht is written in RR.
I have Goljan lectures also which are same like audios, so i am confused wether to use RRGoljan or the lectures.
which book is best for biochem,anatomy,behavioral science,embryo,pharma.
i am planing to take exam in september,are 4 months of 10-12 hrs daily enough for a good score.

irir14293078 (Posts 1) - 5/6/2010 3:18:41 PM

when should i apply if i want to take exam in september...

dada51067480 (Posts 1) - 5/6/2010 11:51:04 PM

dr.taqi wrote:
Got my score today. It's unbelieveable. Thanks to Allah Almighty. I was so depressed after the exam.
Thanks to everyone in this community. Got all the help from here. I had no one to guide me properly. Special thanks to Sanjeev who helped me at every stage of my preparation and answered my every little query.

dada51067480 (Posts 1) - 5/6/2010 11:53:17 PM

congrats dr Taqi.i have exam in 45 days.i used all kaplan notes+FA.is goljan patho necessary.im doing u world and getting 75 in patho.

MuTa18274368 (Posts 1) - 5/7/2010 1:01:14 AM

@ yasar_suleman, dr.abiodun
Yeah man, give me your email address. Or leave a message at dr.taqi@gmail.com for offline NBMEs.

@ AyazMK
I can send you a file with a graph that compares your offline NBME score with the the three digit score and your predicted score in the exam. That correlated my score very accurately.

@ doc-doc
Shoaib, I did UW for a month. In the start, I did it in untimed mode. But after 15 days I did the rest in timed mode to get used to the actual exam setting.

@ irfidxb
I read Goljan Patho Rapid Review.Yes audios are a little different. But just concentrate on what he says. That guy is amazing. Teaches you biochem and other stuff as well. It's up to you which book you choose. Many people don't even go for Goljan at all. But I suggest you to go through it once at least. If you don't have enough time, then Goljan lectures are good too but I haven't read them.
For the rest of the subjects I read ONLY KAPLAN.
10-12 hours study daily is really good. You have sufficient time till Sep. Keep it up.
Apply right now. Get everything done and concentrate only on books in the last few months rather than running around for application process.
Good Luck.

@daud
75 in patho is amazing. Goljan patho is not necessary. It just helps you build basic concepts. If you think you are good at patho, carry on with Kaplan.

aaaa23553615 (Posts 1) - 5/7/2010 12:17:18 PM

[asalmolekom Dr Tariq, Mashallah and congratulations to you, I have a qestion, you said that you have scored 165+ in NBMEs how would you corelate your offline score to USMLE 3 digit scores? do you have anything to match these scores?
I am taking this exam in july Inshallah,doing UW+FA side by side system wise,I haven't yet did any practice test in time mode,and also percentage wise how much subject did they asked to you in exam.
If you kindely briefly answer to me these questions I would be obliged.
Good luck to you for your next steps.
Thank You.

MuTa18274368 (Posts 1) - 5/8/2010 1:18:31 AM

aaliyah wrote:
[asalmolekom Dr Tariq, Mashallah and congratulations to you, I have a qestion, you said that you have scored 165+ in NBMEs how would you corelate your offline score to USMLE 3 digit scores? do you have anything to match these scores?
I am taking this exam in july Inshallah,doing UW+FA side by side system wise,I haven't yet did any practice test in time mode,and also percentage wise how much subject did they asked to you in exam.
If you kindely briefly answer to me these questions I would be obliged.
Good luck to you for your next steps.
Thank You.

@ Aaliyah
Thank you very much for your wishes.
For correlation of scores give me your email address. Or leave a message at dr.taqi@gmail.com. I'll send you a file.
Start doing practice tests in timed mode at least a couple of months before the exam. It'll help you get used to the real exam setting.
There is not specific percentage for any subject in the exam. But pathology makes the biggest portion of the exam. But don't underestimate the importance of other subjects. EVERY SUBJECT IS IMPORTANT.
Good Luck.

shma32346944 (Posts 1) - 5/9/2010 7:28:11 AM

asak ..dr.taqi...congratultions fr ur brilliant score ..i hv just strted preparing fr step one and wish to give it in october this year...i hv strted with kaplan dvds and notes..can u give me link for golgian audios ...u have talked about time mode pratice series,,,wht does tht mean...i mean if one subscribes to uworld thy hv particular dayz in which u hv to finish the exam???...how many revisions u recommend fr notes ..plz guide

kyky93812304 (Posts 1) - 5/9/2010 6:51:36 PM

Mashaallah
Dr.Taqi,you got it!!
Allah has helped you
Dr.Taqi,Mashallah
Allah has bestowed you with such a marvellous victory.You aced this Dragon!!
I have qs
1-you said you repeated marked qs on uw,so isn't that an exagerated scenario because you have seen those qs before?
2-how can I find gojan slides?
3-would you be able to email me the link to nbme offline forms and score corelation?

Khudahaffiz

kyky93812304 (Posts 1) - 5/9/2010 6:54:09 PM

kyousfani10@hotmail.com

for the qs

kyky93812304 (Posts 1) - 5/9/2010 6:54:57 PM

Mashaallah
Dr.Taqi,you got it!!
Allah has helped you
Dr.Taqi,Mashallah
Allah has bestowed you with such a marvellous victory.You aced this Dragon!!
I have qs
1-you said you repeated marked qs on uw,so isn't that an exagerated scenario because you have seen those qs before?
2-how can I find gojan slides?
3-would you be able to email me the link to nbme offline forms and score corelation?

Khudahaffiz
kyousfani10@hotmail.com

MuTa18274368 (Posts 1) - 5/10/2010 2:41:34 AM

@ Shumila
Thanks a lot.
Goljan Audios are about 250MB. Google them and you'll find them.
Timed mode means you have to finish a block of 48 questions in an hour. Untimed mode allows to take as much time as you want to finish that block.
If you subscribe UW for a month, that'll obviously expire in a month.

MuTa18274368 (Posts 1) - 5/10/2010 2:42:27 AM

drmimie wrote:
Congradulation Dr Taqi would you happen to have the pdf for FA 2010? If you do or anyone please let me know! Thanks!

@ drmimie
I'm sorry I don't have it.

MuTa18274368 (Posts 1) - 5/10/2010 2:47:51 AM

@ kyousfan1
Yeah Allah really help me and blessed me with HIS REHMAT.
1. Repeating question means you are revising the concept behind those question you did wrong or you just guessed them blindly. It's not only doing question but getting the grip and revising again the concept and all the story behind that scenario.
2. Google Goljan Slides.
3. I'll send you an email for NBMEs.
Thank you.
Allah Hafiz.

jyjy95230572 (Posts 1) - 5/11/2010 3:59:30 AM

dr.taqi wrote:

congratulations on ur score.Im just starting with my preparation for usmle. can u please mail me the seven nmbe to dr.jo_akm@yahoo.com. thanks in advance and all the best for ur next steps
edited by jyothsna on 5/11/2010

fama11691281 (Posts 1) - 5/11/2010 2:28:50 PM

Congratulation to Dr Taqi& Jyothsna,,,
i really need help &support from u. I am planning for exam in this sept/oct.
how many hours i should study in day,bcos i have to maintain my family as well.i am so frustrated now .

MuTa18274368 (Posts 1) - 5/17/2010 1:58:54 AM

Thanks farihadr.
Don't get frustrated. You are just starting your prep and frustration right in the beginning is very harmful. Just study as much as you can. Don't set yourself any limit or target and just keep going with the studies unless you feel you are pretty much ready. Assess yourself with NBME and if you get your score up to the mark, take the exam.
Keep in touch for further queries. Getting worries worsens your situation.
All the best.

MuTa18274368 (Posts 1) - 5/18/2010 1:35:51 AM

@ Frantz

You never know feel satisfied with your prep untill you assess yourself with some assessment tests. Try NBME 4, 5, or 6. These tests correlate well to your actual score on the exam. If you don't score well on the tests, give Kaplan another good read and take them again.
All the Best.

shsh13672593 (Posts 1) - 6/30/2010 5:40:43 PM

dr.taqi wrote:
I took a little long to prepare for the step 1. People usually recommend 6 months. I took almost 10 months because I was doing house job alongwith it as well. I just wanted to get done with step1 by the time I finish house job.

Been very calm and cool throughout my preparation. In the start, I studied for 4-6 hours which I gradually increased to 12-14 hours in the last couple of months. Been watching movies, going out with friends. Took a break in September for the whole month of Ramadan.

My suggestion is Kaplan Books + DVDs + Goljan Patho + Goljan Audio + Goljan Slides + First Aid.

I did not do Webpath or any specific book or website for CT/MRI and heart murmurs. You get a good idea about probable answer without patho slides in most of the questions. In CT they ask to identify the normal anatomical structure which is not difficult if you know normal anatomy. I got three murmur audio clips.

Keeping your head cool is the key during exam. I skipped the tutorial. Exam pattern was exactly like UW but questions were shorter than that. Half of the questions were 3-4 liner, 25% were one or two liner and the rest were 5+ liner. I did two blocks straight away, then 10 mins break (you don't even realise how quickly mins pass), again two blocks in a row, then 30mins break. That long break was very helpful in restoring my energy levels. Again I took 2 blocks and 10 mins break. Then I did the last block with 10 mins spare.

I finished every block in 50-55 mins and revised marked questions in last a few minutes. I mrked 5-10 questions in a block.

After finishing the exam, I was so depressed. Probably I got too fatigued which was affecting my mood (normally I am very cool-minded). I thought I won't even pass the test. 99 was definitely out of reach. I prayed a lot after the exam and that's what made the difference, I believe.

My UW score was 68%.. I repeated all marked questions.. In last week I did only FA which was a great help.

I did all seven NBME offline.. Got 165+ in each of them..

Any further queries are most welcome. I got a lot from this community. Now is my turn to give if I can.

firstly congratulations
so is a daily study of 10-14 hrs is enough?

and please can u help me find nbme.. exms

pages: 1 2